New 5Man Division System for 2015
The CPPL has pioneered the use of a card registration system in Canada, we have up to date data going back nearly 10 years. It has proven effective to aid in the placement of teams and players to ensure fair play, and opportunity for all players to develop the skills and confidence to advance to the next level play. Team and player advancement is extremely important. New players must be allowed to experience tournament play with out the fear of playing much more accomplished teams.
In the past, applying the tag of “1st year playing tournaments” was enough to make “D4” a entry level division. That has changed in recent years however. With the advent of fantastic venues like the Arena at Bragg Creek Paintball, or the “Thunderdome” tournament field at Paintball Action Games, players are playing their first events more prepared then ever. We have too many teams playing at D4, and not enough teams moving up into the next divisions.
This will change in 2015 and beyond.
CPPL Card classification changes
When the CPPL began we used a simple number system to tag players. Division 1 was the top level, down to Division 3. Teams were allowed one player “drop down” one each team. One D1 player could play with a team in D2. One D2 player could play with a D3 team. No player could drop more than one division. This was effective. As paintball changed the CPPL needed to evolve as well. With the innovative ideas created by the BCPPL, the CPPL adopted the points system used by BC’s best paintball league. The system was similar to the one currently used by the PSP and NPPL in the USA. We have used this system with positive results for the past 5 years, the time for change however has come again.
New players with little or no CPPL experience are able to technically play D4 for a single year, while they broke no rules, the system didn’t work perfectly for these experienced players, playing the CPPL for the first time.
The solution seems to be a hybrid of both systems used in the past, with a few tweaks of course.
CPPL Question Form - For Classification
Entry Division Questions / Entry Division Eligibility
- Have you ever played in a paintball tournament?
- Have you played more than 4 events?
- Have you ever placed in the top 4?
- Do you practice or play regularly (1-2 times per month) on a tournament style field?
- Have you made team commitments? (Team jerseys, Custom styles)
If you as a player answer yes to 3 of these questions. You may not play in the Entry Division (D4), unless you play as the one “drop player”
Eclipse Division Questions / Eclipse Division Eligibility
- Have you EVER won a D3 event?
- Have you placed in the top 4 more than once at a D3 event 2012-2014?
- As a player did you play on a team that placed in the TOP 6 series points (D3) overall in 2014?
- Have you ever played D2 and placed in the top 2?
If you as a player answer yes to 3 of these questions, you may not play in the Eclipse Division (D3) unless you play as the one “drop player”
Empire Division Questions / Empire Division Eligibility
- Have you EVER won a D2 event?
- Have you placed in the top 3 at any D2 event 2012-2014
- As a player did you play on a team that placed in the TOP 2 series points overall in 2014?
- Have you ever played D1 and placed in the Top 2?
If you as a player answer yes to 2 of these questions, you may not play in the Empire Division (D2) unless you play as the one “drop player” If you answer yes to any 1 of these questions you may play no lower than Eclipse division.
Ultimate Division Questions / Ultimate Division Eligibility
- Do you want to play against the best teams and players in Canada?
- Do you want to play 5Man paintball modified with XD Ramp mode?
- Are you looking to challenge your team and it’s players to become awesome?
- Is playing X-Division something your team would like to try in the future?
If you as a player answered yes to ANY of these questions, you are perfect for the ULTIMATE 5Man division. Congratulations on all your success in the CPPL. We hope to provide you with the teams and formats to help you advance to the next level!!
Division Placement Summary
Still having trouble sorting out where you should play? Here is a summary as to how we see team and player placement.
2014 D4 teams that placed 7th place or below, plus all first year teams.
Players will be allowed to play this division for 4 events only. After the 2015 season no player that has played more than 4 events will be permitted to play the ENTRY division. Prizes will be limited to entry fees and paint and the following CPPL event, at next level.
2014 D3 teams plus top 6 D4 teams, plus all D4 event winners from 2014
2014 D2 teams plus top 6 D3 teams, plus all D3 event winners from 2014
All other questions can be answered by email. Please contact our event director.